Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Working on my swing.

Ireland's greatest golfer, Pádraig Harrington, spends the winter practicing the most basic of golfing requirements - his swing. Take one tip from me - never bet on Pádraig to win anything during the winter. And just like Pádraig, I'm struggling big time now that I'm trying to change my running technique. I only did 2miles or slightly more today, in very hot weather, but I was struggling with this new 'chi-running' (or at least what I think is chi). For starters, I found it tough to go slow, as the technique calls for the legs to be kicked back a bit and this creates a kind of motor effect. I was yelling at women with babies to 'GET OUT OF THE WAY I CAN'T STOPPPPPPPP'. Well, maybe not, but I was going faster than I would like.
However, I stopped briefly before beginning the second leg of my route and re-shaped myself and it seemed a bit better for me, a bit bouncier and slightly slower. I may really be doing this all wrong but from what I can see on youtube I'm not far off and next week Rónán can put me straight, after his chi-date with Caitríona.
Distance: 2-2.5 miles.
Route: Out from the house, down to Pointe, back up to Tí Mhatt Tom and back home.
Time: I don't have a watch.

2 comments:

  1. You don't have a watch? Funnily enough, when I went for a five mile run yesterday, I left my watch on the table and just cantered round at a steady pace enjoying all the sights and sounds and smells as I ran through bluebell woods with shafts of sunlight lancing through the trees. There's so much more freedom, and less pressure, without a watch though I'll maybe have to strap it back on when I go into serious training again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know its strange but I never wear a watch out running - I feel I enjoy the run much more that way. Although, as you say - if I want to get in to serious training I may need one!

    ReplyDelete