Thursday, June 3, 2010

Nice 5.5 in Seanféistín

Out the door, into the car, pick up Conor and ten minutes later we are running through the most spectacular scenery in Ireland. Seanféistín is easy on the legs and the eyes, with the soft bog road underneath and the rolling hills and lakes all around. As a young fella I used to travel out this road to watch my father cut turf, and then turn it, foot it and put it out on the road for drying - and then bring it home for the winter fires. Every once and a while I'd even take a break from throwing muck at the sister to lend the aul fella and the brothers a hand. Not often, but sometimes!
Last year I went out to that bog for the first time in 20 years to foot turf with my father. I felt bad for him at the start because he was lagging behind as I went roaring up the rows of turf -bending and turning, bending and turning. My father was taking his time, stopping to chat - falling yards behind me. By the end of the day though it was a clear case of the tortoise and the hare because my back was in agony and I had slowed to a near halt while he kept the same pace and overtook me easily!
This evening I ran five and a half miles, slow and easy. I can feel the legs a bit tired after the last three days of running but hopefully this will regulate itself. I didn't bother trying the chi-method tonight - I was probably doing it wrong anyway and until I find out otherwise I'll enjoy the old slog jog. Some rain is promised, but tonight was a beautiful night for running, with a fresh breeze.

1 comment: