Friday, September 17, 2010

Six Mile Tempo.

Fionnán bog, near Seanaphéistín
I decided, following my weak efforts last week, to take a few days off running this week.  To be honest, I felt a bit 'run-downiness' so I thought the break might do me good.  So I missed the intervals(repeats) part of my furman week, but picked up with a tempo session yesterday evening.  The session called for six miles (1 mile easy, 4 miles pace and 1 mile easy).  I definitely felt the same old tiredness at the start of the run, but thankfully I could trot along for a mile before picking up the pace.  The first mile of tempo was all up hill and grand until I reached close to the top - at which point it was tough but still manageable.  The next mile was a mix of downhill and flat so that was fine HOWEVER, just as I was about to hit the seriously hilly fourth tempo mile I got a very bad stitch down the right side of my body.  At first I really wanted to run through this pain, for fear of making a habit of these stops (I had to stop twice last week), however, the stitch was so bad that it had slowed me down considerably so the 'tempo' was not really working out to well at this point!  I took the decision to stop and walk for a short time to get rid of this stitch prior to taking on the hill at some pace.  This worked out pretty well for me - I was up and running again well within a minute, stitch gone, and pace back.  I had no problem from there to the end and actually made good time for the entire run.  Things are still not ideal for me, and with an 18 miler up next the confidence needs a boost soon.  It doesn't help that I'm on a carb free diet for the next few weeks due to this nutritional programme I'm following.  On the plus side - I am only two savagely long runs away from beginning the taper for the Dublin Marathon - I can almost see the light!
Distance:  6 miles tempo
Route:  Seanféistín
Pace:  7.45 at peak, average 8.50
Satisfaction:  4/10

2 comments:

  1. Seems you had a nice training. Hope your nutritional programme will go well and thanks for your advice about pink Himalayan salt.
    I'm glad you visited my running blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coinnigh leis anois, ní bheidh sé i bhfad go mbeidh tú ag trasnú an líne i mBleá Cliath. B'fhéidir go ndéanfainn an turas chun pionta Guinness a chaith siar leat ina dhiaidh.

    ReplyDelete