Monday, September 6, 2010

16 Mile Run

I forgot to bring my camera with me today, so this pic is from last Friday's hillwalk but the emotion after finishing today's long run was the exact same.  And 16 miles is one hell of a lllllllllllllooooooooooonnnnnnng run!  Steppidy, steppidy, breathidy, breathidy, hum a tune in my head, count and spell, daydream a bit, listen to the stream running, a bit of pain and easy again... it's all in a long run!  Long distance running is definitely a metaphor for life; you will encounter some pain, but if you just keep on going, one foot ahead of the other, it will eventually pass.  I'm going back to work tomorrow, after a month-long break, and I'm just glad to have kept the furman programme, more or less, on schedule.  Once again my long run was in Seanféistín.  I measured the distance in advance by driving eight miles from the cross at Ros a'Mhil, parking the car at that point, then running out towards the cross and back again.  I could definitely feel Friday's hills in my legs for the first three or four miles but eventually settled down.  To be honest, I was glad enough with the way I felt throughout.  I wasn't expecting the last mile to be so uphilly, (even though I had run down that way on the journey out to the cross) so I found this tough, but adrenaline brought me home!  The other big plus is that I felt fine after the run - no huge fatigue and no bad stiffness.  Some days just go for you...
Distance:  16 miles
Route:  Seanféistín
Satisfaction:  8/10

2 comments:

  1. That's great going well done mate. It's been a long time since i ran that sort of distance. Inspiring stuff :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks a million Phil...so far, so good with this marathon training!

    ReplyDelete