Tuesday, September 21, 2010

18 miles, running and walking.

Even my magic juice couldn't help me...
The one plus I can take from yesterday's 18 miler is that I finished it, somehow.  First the background story:  a number of months ago I went to a nutritionist in order to get back running and to get rid of a constant feeling of fatigue.  Since then I have been following a programme of cleanses (which have been excellent) that has culminated with a carb free few weeks - the theory here being that I was training the body to get the maximum nutrients from protein.  It is not advisable to run long distance on such a programme, but with the Dublin marathon coming up I knew that I just had to get on with it... Once again the route was Seanadh Phéistín (correct spelling!).  I parked the car at the midway point so that I could run 4.5 miles in one direction, then run back to the car, and then run 4.5miles in the other direction - and back to the car again!  I had left my magic drink at various stages (drink contained chia seeds, synergy powder and Pink Himalayan salt).  The first three miles were okay and then I hit a stretch of 1.5 miles uphill.  I ran this steadily but had to stop briefly at the turn while I drank my magic.  The next two miles were all down hill, I felt I was doing fine but the minute I hit an uphill stretch I had to stop and walk again!  The week of no carbs or sugar had totally taken it's toll and left me without any energy to run the hills.  However, I wasn't too concerned at this point - thinking that a 'run/walk' technique was good in the circumstances!  The second half of the run turned nasty however.  I had to stop to walk at miles 10 and 12 and then faced a 4.5 mile run to the finish that was mainly UPHILL!  This stretch took an eternity to finish and I walked most of it.  My legs were shot from all the stopping and starting and my head felt light whenever I tried the mildest trot.  Logically I know that you can't run long distances and stay away from carbohydrates for a long period of time, however, I have very little time left until the Dublin marathon and one long run has been sacrificed.  Also, the trauma of Monday puts me off going out again this week.  Yikes.
Distance:  18 miles
Route:  Seanadh Phéistín
Pace:  10minutes running, 12.30 walking
Satisfaction:  0/10

7 comments:

  1. 18 miles carb free. Excuse me for pointing out the obvious but that's bloody insane man. What are you doing to yourself!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know... I'm caught in a catch 22 situation - finish this nutrion thing and jeopardize the marathon or pack up the marathon. I want my cake and eat it too (a highly inappropriate saying for a man who can't eat cake!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. you can carb load for a few days up to the marathon and then return to no carbs after? Or does this defeat the object?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with 'Hauling my Carcass', you cannot run long distances, or run efficiently over any distance, without carbohydrates. Muscle glycogen stores are dependent on a good supply of carbohydrates. For goodness sake, get yourself back onto a sensible balanced diet. Have a protein snack within an hour of each run when your body is most hungry to absorb it. Call me an old cynic, but I believe such things as Chia seeds, Himalayan Salt and expensive Synergy powders are completely unnecessary, a total waste of money - and you'll perform equally well without them. A balanced diet contains all the nutrients you need, including salt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lads, I'm in total agreement, I know it's a stupid thing to do. However, my prediciment was that I am following a 'nutritional course, which culminates with this process... It sounds daft but I've been on it for some time and don't want to mess up now that I am nearly finished. At the same time, I don't want to lose out on my marathon training. The carb free thingy ends next week so I'll be back to normal then.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Running Fox about a balanced diet which contains all the nutrients we need, although in summer time we'd have to add salt. Maybe pink Himalayan salt as adised by Breandán.
    Have a nice training!

    ReplyDelete
  7. got to keep those carbs if your running long.

    ReplyDelete