Sunday, September 26, 2010

The Difference in a Week.

After my run D and I brought Conall and Andrew to the lovely Knockabbey Gardens.
During last week's 18 miler I felt tired every time I ran a hill, struggled for most of my run and walked a lot of the last four miles.  I was on a 'carb free' diet for two weeks, which was pure stupidity for long distance running (as pointed out by my fellow bloggers).  Following this traumatic day I took the rest of the week off from running (which is also pure stupidity for anyone who is supposed to be training for a marathon at the end of October, but there you go, I'm pure stupid).  This Friday Deirdre and I traveled up to Louth and I decided to break from this carb free programme.  Well be the hokey, the minute I did my body went wild for all kinds of chocolates, fig rolls, biscuits of any description, chips, chinese take away - you name it!  I had to eventually settle myself down on Saturday evening and say 'right lad, drink water, eat healthy and cop on to yourself'!  I woke up early this morning, had a good breakfast, went to mass in Stabannon, and then out for a run.  T'was a gorgeous day.  I set no targets for myself, no barriers either - it could be four miles or seven, fast or slow, all depending on how I felt.  And, believe or not, I felt great!  The carbo-loading of the previous two days worked wonders as I trotted along at a decent pace, without any strain! I ended up running 13 miles - which was bang on my furman programme, and felt great afterwards.  From now on I'm on the straight and narrow when it comes to training and nutrition - no funny stuff, plenty of carbs and follow through with all my training runs.  It can be done!
Distance:  13miles
Route:  Stabannon
Satisfaction:  10/10

2 comments:

  1. See, what did I tell you? Glad to hear you're back on track and finding running (and eating) enjoyable again. There's not many weeks left now before Dublin. Stick to the plan, stay positive and you might surprise yourself how well it all goes. Believe me, it can be a life changing experience!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I woke up early this morning, had a good breakfast, went to mass in Stabannon, and then out for a run. T'was a gorgeous day."

    Sounds like the first verse of a bad ballad!

    ReplyDelete