Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Walking Slieve Foy.

Carlingford is one of the most beautiful little towns in all of Ireland.  It's where D and I celebrated our marriage two years ago and a place for which we've always had a soft spot.  There are many attractive aspects to Carlingford: the lough, the medieval castle, the quirkly little streets... and of course the mountain (ok, hill).  I've been determined to walk Slieve Foy for some time but never really got a chance until now - us being on holidays here.  I parked beside the Tourist Office and set off past St. Michael's Church, where the tourist office woman assured me there was a path to pull me up! 

The Foy isn't the biggest of hills (it's certainly not a mountain!), but it's no joke either.  It took me an hour and forty minutes to reach the summit, with some 'mild climbing' at the very top.  It is, however, a fantastic walk.  Twenty minutes after heading off from the tourist office I was knee deep in peace and quiet, with nothing to be heard except for the odd baa-ing of the sheep, the sound of streams trickling, birds overhead and the ever so slight wind. 

I'm new to this hill walking lark, but it was fantastic and something I'll definitely do more of.  It's also a very good workout - I was sweating like a marathon runner on my way up and needed to stop for a break now and then (this wouldn't happen while running!).  The final push up to the summit was straining enough, but reaching the top gives you a great feeling - akin to finishing a good race. 

The descent is nice, but be careful with your step - I nearly turned my ankle once, which would have meant an awkward journey down. Thank God today was a beautiful, dry day - otherwise my choice of walking shoes were flimsy to say the least (an old pair of asics). 

I was tempted to add to my pints count for the year after coming down the hill, but a soup in PJ O'Hare's was good enough for me!

2 comments:

  1. Fantastic scenery Breandán, and that track in the last picture looks absolutely ideal for running (although hard mountain walking must be an excellent form of cross training).

    ReplyDelete
  2. it would be a great run alright - but I said I'd walk it because of the marathon training happening around it...beautiful way to spend a day for sure.

    ReplyDelete