Sunday, August 1, 2010

Ten miles and the coral strand.

Inspired by the men on my TV set running the European Championships Marathon this morning, I lept out into the great big sunshine and took on a full ten miles.  I usually do my long runs out in Seanféistín but for the sake of saving some car driving time I opted for a run up the village.  I went as far as the coral strand and then on to Loch an Mhuillinn.  The coral strand is known locally as 'Trá an Dóilín' - 'trá' meaning beach and 'dóilín' a 'gathering of coral shell'.  The beach itself is very unusual - there are only three coral strands in all of Ireland, and not many throughout Europe either.  For those who don't know what a 'coral strand' is I will try to explain:  most beaches have sand at the end of the watery part (you know the area where all the pretty girls lie down for a tan and where all the Irish men play football topless and nearly blind everyone with their ridiculously milk white skin?), but a coral strand doesn't have sand at that part, but rather it has tiny bits of broken sea shells and little sand coloured stony-type things. I know, I know, I've still not explained that too well... just google it and stop annoying me...
Anyway, this week was meant to be a 'step back', with only a ten mile long run, however, I found it tough enough.  The furman training programme must be bang on because I really could not have done another meter, not mind another mile.  Felt good afterwards and ready for whatever the day would bring (which turned out to be a lawnmowing session).  I am heading to Louth tomorrow for D's uncle's funeral so I was glad to have gotten my long run in beforehand.
Distance:  10 miles
Route:  Village, Dóilín route
Satisfaction rating:  7/10

1 comment: