Thursday, August 12, 2010

It started with a Hooker.

One mile easy this evening and seven miles at tempo pace.  I lashed into the tempo - again no watch but I was well under the 8minute mile mark.  I felt great throughout - the strongest I've been since starting the furman marathon programme.  Why so good today?  Perhaps the change of route - I've heard it said that bringing variation into a running programme can work wonders.  I usually do my midweek tempo around our village but decided to drive to the neighbouring village this evening.  They call this place 'the Islands', it being a series of small isles connected by bridges.  The scenery here is beautiful...I was all set to take some lovely photos for the blog but got so carried away with the run that all I managed to take was this picture of a hooker!  Around these parts of course the term 'hooker' doesn't refer to a street walker or lady of the night, but rather to the traditional sailing craft of Connemara - and this quaint little pub, which was my starting point for the run, is named after said vessel.  I ran the last bit of the run with laces open, running on a narrow bridge, with busy traffic whizzing by.  I had the choice of breaking my momentum by stopping to tie my shoelaces, or else risk tripping on my lace, being hit by a passing car and dumped into the Atlantic ocean.  Of course I risked life and limp to get back to my hooker in record time!!!
Distance:  8miles (1 easy, 7 tempo)
Route:  Back the Islands
Satisfaction:  9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment