Saturday, August 21, 2010

Holiday Runs in Louth.

I'm up here on my hols in my wife's home County of Louth.  I've managed to keep my furman programme on schedule, with the one difference being that I opted for road running rather than park running for my interval day.  The scenery here is beautiful, and a world of difference from the ruggedness of Connemara - us being on the east coast now, rather than hugging the Atlantic coast of the west.  There are corn fields and maize fields everywhere in this country that is rich in farmland and richer farmers!  For my holiday bits I have visited all the old monastic ruins from the 12th and 13th centuries - this place is littered with them!  Round towers and old churches are scattered here and there and stories of monks who held out against the vikings but crumbled under the reign of Henry VIII.  I've had a good running partner in Benny, who is just starting back to some training but has a serious residue of natural fitness.  D and I are heading back west again this evening for my brother's 40th party.  I'll do my long run in Seanféistín on Sunday, but we'll be back to the Wee County of Louth again on Tuesday to resume the hols. 

1 comment:

  1. As ever wonderful photos looks like an old railway line the way the trees have curled over the road

    ReplyDelete