Thursday, July 1, 2010

A Peninsula With Good Runs.

Living on a peninsula like An Cheathrú Rua, with so many roads shooting this way and that, means the runs can vary a great deal. I did a good six miles today, turning down Gleann Mór (Gaelic for 'the big valley') and back into the main village. I decided to spice things up on the way home by doing the cruel climb that is Bóithrín an tSagairt (the Priest's Road in Gaelic!). This really is a climb, not just a wimpy incline. Its a steep jolt that lasts a good four hundred metres and takes the wind out of you for sure. There's a great feeling of satisfaction at the top, and the most spectacular view of the entire peninsula and out the bay. From now on I'm determined to take a camera with me on at least one long run a forthnight, and a lot more than this if I can... the best thing from Juneathon was that it brought me to other sites where bloggers take time to enjoy what's around them and take photos. A special word of mention here for a running blog that wasn't part of Juneathon (I can't comment on any Juneathoners - they were all fab) but is well worth checking out... Run For Your Life, by the OldRunningFox is very interesting and very inspirational. Running Fox is 78 and is fit as a fiddle. What's more, his accounts are well backed up by lovely photos and great writing. Well done my man and keep it up! As for all the Juneathoners - here's to life after June!

No comments:

Post a Comment