Tuesday, July 20, 2010

From Tired to Energetic in Five Interval Miles

Firstly, I hope this local football pitch never gets a notion to modernize it's signs - you definitely can't beat a homemade timber board sign that says 'Páirc Dúnta' (Gaelic for Park Closed').  'Dúnta' it wasn't though...  Secondly, isn't it strange that the best cure for tiredness is to run?  I came home from work after 6pm, with interval training ahead of me, and felt that I was so tired I should take this day off.  I lay down into the couch and started to nod off when the phone rang.  After that, I decided to go ahead with my scheduled training session - and I'm happy I did.  On the menu this evening:  1 mile warm up, followed by 2 laps fast six times with 90 second rest in between, and then another mile of a warm down.  Five miles in all.  Again the local football team were out training, but this time we all got a nice dry evening.  These intervals are definitely tough but I'm sure it will all pay off.  By the third set of 2 laps I was puffing and panting.  However, by the last set I was flying again.  My wife has been away for three weeks now and will be away for a few more and in this time I've set about living like a healthy monk.  I have been eating very healthily, running well, no excess tv, working hard, cleaning house outside and in and generally keeping things on a steady course and paring back any of the excesses of life.  A by product of this is that I've dropped a trouser size and lost my wedding ring after it fell from a thinner finger!  There definitely is a great joy in this kind of simplicity - I reckon those monks were on to something (but at the same time I would like my wife back, thank you!). 


 As for the football pitch - the lads were still training when I was driving away home, they have a big game coming up this week and look in good shape.

No comments:

Post a Comment