Sunday, July 3, 2011

8 Miles with Conor in Seanféistín...

After my run I went for a walk to the rock, where angler's, like Rhona, were looking for supper...

It's been about 8 months since I've had the pleasure of Conor's company on the plains of Seanféistín, but, it being that time of year, I was glad to meet up with him on Ros a mhíl cross this evening, for what would turn out to be a tough 8 miler for me (and 12 for him).  Conor is way ahead fitness-wise, and intends to run 5 marathons in 5 days next week.  This evening's 8 miler was the longest run I've had for some time.  We started off brightly and I felt good for about 3 miles.  Seanféistín is a real test - the first 2 miles are all up hill, and while there are some downs the course puts you through your paces.  I had only intended to run 6, but decided to go another 2 miles, so I said my goodbyes to Conor and turned at the four mile mark to head back for base.  On the turn I hit a 'wobbly' - my legs were like jelly beneath me and I slowed to a tortoise jog.  I had hoped for a second wind but it was a struggle all the way back.  Truth be told, I even stopped to walk at the hardest of climbs, with only 2 miles to go.  Mind won over matter though and I quickly picked myself up and ran the rest of  the way home - glad to have completed an 8 miler, but with the clear knowledge that I NEED TO DISCIPLINE MY TRAINING!

3 comments:

  1. Don't beat yourself up little Joe, I think i would have a calf if i ran eight miles now. The Ger Kearney Memorial run is a must for you though in Tombrack on August the 20th at 5.30pm. A good 4 miler on a challenging but beautifuly scenic circuit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ben
    Why did Hass call you Little Joe? Is it early dementia?
    Well done on your run. I thought those runs with Little Joe wouldve stood to you but maybe it was just an off day.
    Adam

    ReplyDelete
  3. shut up adam, hass aint been feelin himself since he left the ponderoza (and neither has anyone else)

    ReplyDelete