Sunday, June 19, 2011

Ups and Downs.

Nice to run with company - well provided today by brother Kevin!

I've been letting myself down lately - dropping standards, dulling ambition, doing things badly.  I slipped with my Juneathon quest again yesterday, though that doesn't really bother me too much, it's the quality of what I've been doing recently that is gnawing at me.  This morning I had reason to be in a field beside our house and heard the clearest cricket song.  The little fellow was relentless, hiding somewhere in the long grass, he chirped and chatted away to the world like a madman amusing himself.  Our place is usually full of birdsong in the morning, but today belonged to this little fellow.  My brother Kevin was at home, so we decided to go for a run when my student lodgers left for college.  It's nice to run with a bit of company every once and awhile.  We did my usual 'up and down again' route, marking the 5k turnaround point at Cóilín Daddy's.  Our pace was brisk enough and we even decided to stretch it out for the last 1k.  I was upbeat again after this run, and decided to look at some positives:  I may not be training as hard as I was last year, but I'm still at it and, though they be short jaunts, I've still competed well enough for Juneathon.  Not too bad, an do better!

2 comments:

  1. Mar a deir Isaiah Fáidh, 'pè deacrachtaí reatha a bhíonn ag fear, tugann run maith amháin ar ais go barr na sléibhe arís é.' (in agallamh le Zacchaeus, Runners World, 1998)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great photo and great effort. Don't be too hard on yourself, just keep going. :)

    ReplyDelete