Saturday, June 25, 2011

3 Miles with a Twist.

Bóithrín an tSagairt

You can't beat a summer's Saturday morning.  I got early to give the students their breakfast, and with a long free day stretching far ahead, I tore into some serious house cleaning -  basically turning the house upside down, cleaning and mopping and mopping and cleaning!  After about four hours of housework I decided to reward myself with a 3 mile run... my usual 'up and down the road' jaunt, but with one little twist in the tail.  On reaching the turnaround point I decided to head right, instead of turning directly back down towards the house.  This right turn would bring me on a nice little loop, stretching the 3 mile mark marginally in terms of distance, but significantly in terms of difficulty.  The road is known as Bóithrín an tSagairt (the Priest's Road), and is basically an unforgiveable hill that leads to the highest point on the peninsula.  From here, on a clear day, you can see as far as the Island of Garumna to the west, and out to the Aran Islands to the south.  I huffed and puffed up the savage hill and felt gggggreeeeeeat at the very top.  Just like Tony the Tiger.  The rest of the run was easy peasy after this!  Throughout I hummed the infectious 'what you focus on grows' tune that I heard the last day.  Running can be a great old life motivator...!

3 comments:

  1. Great training across a beautiful environment! Train hard Breandán!
    The photo shows a nice place to run.
    Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ive often run down it but Tis a brave man who would run UP boithrin a' tsagairt.
    Similar to Haile Gebreselassie's training in Ethiopia!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks lads... Giorgio: have a nice weekend.
    Tuairim: Gabh feadaíl.

    ReplyDelete