Saturday, June 11, 2011

7.5 miles, on a day of meetings...

My wife was the first soul I ran past, she on her way back from a walk, and I on my way to Dóilín Strand...

Upon joking about a need for drugs following a stressful day, a friend remarked that I should go out for a run to get my 'natural high' - never truer words were spoken.  Today, I finally broke the 5 mile barrier, for the first time in quite a while, with a fantastic 7.5 mile run, from one tip of the peninsula to the other.  This was a day of meetings for sure.  In the hour prior to set off Yolando and her children called to the house, followed by Big Ron and his youngest Cóil.  When all were gone I set off, down to the lighthouse first of all and then up towards the village.  The first soul I met on my run was my own dear wife on her way back from a walk - so the camera was sprung!  After this I met Síle and her young ones, crossed paths with Mícheál, Peadar and half the world... The opposite tip of the peninsula to us is the famous Coral Strand - Trá an Dóilín, so at this point I turned to head back for home.  For about a half a mile after the turn there's a steep and steady incline.  It nearly broke me!  But what goes up must come down (or at least level off!)... I trotted back home at a decent enough pace - and lastly met cousin Bríd!  A fine run, on a fine day...

5 comments:

  1. Great run. You are getting in a lot of running days this month. Great idea this Juneathon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you had a good run in good weather (if the picture is anything to go by) and met some good company along the way.
    Wish I could get out for some pain-free 'natural high'. Doing sit-ups and leg-raisers just isn't the same!
    Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great long run across that beautiful peninsula, with the exception of half a mile up-hill on the way back :)
    Glad your pace is improving, Breandán!
    Have a nice week!

    Post scriptum: thanks for your interesting comment about nuclear energy which you wrote on my blog.
    I'm interested about nuclear program in other countries.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post, and picture. I'm new to your blog, and am really enjoying it. Wishing you continued good luck with your training. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that I made it in! Natural highs all round! BT.

    ReplyDelete