Friday, September 30, 2011

One of Three Great Routes.


Dinner party to organise for 8pm, work to finish at 5.15pm, an hour's commute and shopping to consider - would I be cutting it fine if I did my 5 mile tempo straight after work?  Well, that's what I did, and finely I did cut it!  My route was the Salthill prom - out to Mutton Island, around South Park and back down towards the prom, and my training schedule called for a 'mid-tempo' pace.  I'm not quite sure what a mid tempo pace means, but I took it to be 'quick enough', so I ran at a level above the norm.  There were times during this run when I thought I was going to konk out, but I kept going and discovered a second, third and even a fourth 'wind'.  I'm blessed with great training routes:  Seanadh Phéistín, An Cheathrú Rua, and Salthill... each has it's own merit, but the one factor in common to all is wonderful scenery.  The Salthill route is probably the easiest of the three in terms of being flat as a pancake, but this allows me to concentrate on building a little speed.  The 'prom' is an old walkway that hugs Galway Bay and is used by thousands of walkers every day - so the scenery, both human and natural, is always interesting.  I even managed to finish this particular run with a spring in the aul step.  And believe me, I needed the spring in the step to prepare for a dinner party with very little time to spare!  By the time I got home my wife and I went straight to peeling spuds, carrots, parsnips - sticking them all in the oven with some chicken, rushed a shower, got dressed, quick kitchen clean and hey presto, guests arrive (never knowing the panic of the preceeding 30mins!). 

No comments:

Post a Comment