Monday, February 27, 2012

A chocolate bar in the middle of a long run?


Five miles into an eight mile run I decided to stop at a shop and buy a mars bar and a bottle of water.  I slugged them both back and then trotted on home.  Weird, I know.  The new mars bar approach to running came about due to some bad preparation earlier!  I had the day off, and had an inkling that I would do my 20 miler run, so I had a bowl of porridge at 10, fully intent on heading off on my run two hours later.  But, following a cup of coffee up at the local café, and a cup of tea with Big Ron, I kept putting this mammoth run off.  Eventually, I got out the door at 3pm - with pangs of hunger!  Lesson one from today:  if you don't fuel up properly you will weaken quickly!  My route was basicially just around the village - from one tip of the peninsula to the other and back again.  At Dóilín beach I decided to trek along the strand to where the old pier is, rather than double back  up the road again.  This route brings you to a raggedy old road that is serious incline from the old pier back to the main road again.  I had brought a few quid along for fear that I might need to buy water somewhere during the long run but, as I trekked up that incline, I decided on two things:  1)  I will not run 20 miles, nor near it!  2)  I NEED CHOCOLATE!  So, back to the village, into the local shop and, mars bar and bottle of water later, I'm on the last leg home... Still a very enjoyable run, and I'll live to fight another day on the old 20mile front.   This, coupled with an interval on Saturday makes for a good enough past few days.
The picture above is of a little whale that washed up on our local beach.  The poor thing.

6 comments:

  1. I'll try a mars bar before my long run workout :)
    Have a nice training!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not being a believer in expensive gels, I take a couple of mini-Mars bars with me on a long run. They're a softer consistency than standard Mars bars and easier to digest.
    Not that I do any long runs nowadays!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing your experience. You own a very interesting blog, keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So I'm reading a blog and there on the right hand side in a 'blog list' 2 things catch my eye!!

    1) 24 pints... that sounds like fun!
    2) chocolate on the run...

    I was sold I had to pop over and read what you had writen:

    Nice story and why not eat chocolate on the run, I would take it with me on my runs, but its 'lent' and I've given up chocolate, so after easter I'll have a bar in my pack. I'm a trail runner and I normal run with a pack.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Coach Dion... I'm supposed to be doing lent too but God and chocolate are one and the same sometimes!

    ReplyDelete