Sunday, December 18, 2011

New Year Coming... New Challenge? What Say You All?


Before I get on to the meat and drink of this post, let me record tonight's three mile threadmill run.  Only three miles, because I hate the threadmill and it's impossible to do much more than this amount on it! 

And now to the nub of this post:  end of year is fast approaching and this will mark the end of the second year of this blog.  It's time for a new challenge.  A big one.  I've been giving this some thought... I love challenges; running marathons, cycling across Ireland etc, and I also have a self-sacrifice streak - punishing myself by cutting out drink, or meat for periods, staying off carbs, chocolates and more!  For next year, however, I am looking at something entirely different... My mission:  to pay off my mortgage in one year, in order to commit to a life of helping the less fortunate.  Can it be done?  My mortgage is HUGE.  My house is not huge, but my mortgage is. How can I pay this off in a year, I hear you ask?  My wife and I are both employed, but our salaries are just average and this Government has cut cut cut cut.  So how could I pay off my mortgage that quickly?  Well - I'm not sure!  But anything I've ever done has started with a wild statement of intent:  I'll run a marathon, I'll cycle across Ireland, I'll give up drink for a year... etc.  All pale in comparison to this challenge, perhaps... what do you think - am I daft to set this as the year's challenge? 

I still have another week before I commit to the 2012 challenge, and between now and then I'll discuss other possibilities:  giving up meat for a year, running a marathon under 3.30, raising 20k on my charity cycle... and it goes on.  But for now, let's ponder:  could I clear the mortgage?

4 comments:

  1. Dunno whether you can clear your mortgage or not Breandán, only you and your good wife can answer that question. But whatever you do decide upon for 2012, I wish you success.
    PS. I reckon you could EASILY run a marathon in under 3.30

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best of luck and an honourable cause! If my numbers come up I will be more than happy to help!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you aim to clear it, at least you'll chop a good chunk more than you would have off it..which won't be a failure i'd say. The amount of money we spend on rubbish adds up!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our Italian Government cut to poors and middle class people too. Taxes here are overall 54%, the same as Scandinavian countries but we haven't the same welfare and health coverage. I hope you and your wife will reach your goals, Breandán!

    On the running front, I really think you could run a marathon.

    May you have a wonderful Christmas!

    ReplyDelete