Monday, October 17, 2011

The Con Job and I Beat the Elements.

What a difference a day makes - this glorious pic was taken only yesterday, down at Trá na Reilige.  

Day off, and run due.  Conor and I were committed to running Seanadh Phéistín and it would be the first time for us to run together for many, many months.  However, I awoke this morning to the worst weather we've had in this country for a long time (which really, really says a lot!).  Lashing rain and fierce gale made me think that today's run would not materialise... but then I remembered the commitment had been made by Conor - a man who would run in an earthquake!  So we met at the cross at 12.30pm and with my trusty windsheeter I set off with the Con Man.  The first mile of Seanadh Phéistín is a long and slow incline and much to our great pleasure the wind was at our backs!  We were pushed up the hill, with minimum effort being expended!  There were points on that section of road where I swear my feet didn't even touch the ground (slight, ever so slight, exaggeration).  I had hoped to tick 6 miles today but we had to decide to turn at the 2.5 mark, as the rain became too much to bare and our run was entering the realms of pure lunacy!  After the turn there's another, sharper, incline - this time with no gale to assist.  As luck would rarely have it though the wind and rain definitely seemed to die down on the way back and we decided to push the pace a bit from the two mile mark.  Conor's garmin made for decent reading at the end of our run - mile 4 was clocked at 7.12pace, while our last mile was run at 6.40m/pace.  Shockingly quick for me!  All in all -nothing beats a run against the elements and thanks to the Con Job for making it happen...

2 comments:

  1. That beach looks beautiful!
    Glad you're improving your running pace, Breandán! Unfortunately, in this period I'm crazy busy for job and I'm running three times a week only (Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday).
    Have a nice running weekend!

    ReplyDelete