Saturday, August 27, 2011

The Ger Kearney 4 Mile Memorial Run!


A few days after my mammoth cycle D and I took the two hour southerly trip to Wexford, where I would link up with brothers Richie and Cormac to compete in the Ger Kearney 4 mile run.  They call this part of the country the 'sunny south-east', but it was as rainy as any other part on the day of our run!  It didn't matter a hoot for us trotters though, and amongst the many competitors was our Mom - celebrating her 70th year in style!  My mother and father had six children and all, barring myself, are scattered to the four corners of the island - all married and rooted elsewhere.  Richie is well settled in Wexford now and a regular first team player with Tombrack United!  Hence the reason for this run:  to raise money for their football club and to honour the memory of a much loved local runner.  

Cormac romps home in the Ger Kearney Run and we join Mom for her heroic finish!
The course, though short, was fairly difficult and well packed with hills.  Cormac and I set off at our own pace, running initially within ourselves and picking it up as we went along.  I could definitely feel the long cycle on my legs and couldn't stretch as I would have wanted but still I was happy enough with the run.  I finished in a time of 31.45 with Cormac coming in at 33.54.  Richie himself was the chief organiser (and he did a fantastic job) so he didn't actually compete.  

Cormac and I doubled back after the run and walked the triumphant journey with Mom and Deborah (Richie's wife).  We had a fantastic night in Tombrack afterwards - Dad played a starring musical role!

2 comments:

  1. You really showed your strenght with your Mammoth cycle and the Ger Kearney 4 mile run.
    Happy birthday to you mom!
    Have a nice running weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The people of Tombrack are glad you enjoyed it! Hopefully we'll do the cycle and the run again next year!

    ReplyDelete