Monday, May 30, 2011

Up With The Birds...

In honour of my first major lawn cut of the year I decided to post this pic of a mushroom, which ended up as an innocent victim of said cutting.  PS:  what room has no windows and no doors... yes, a mushROOM.  Hardy, har, har...

I decided to give myself a kick up the jacksy this morning, by rising at 5.45am to get out for a four miler.  Is there anything more spiritually uplifting than running on a bright May morning with a cool breeze at your back and  the chorus song of a thousand birds all around?  And what a chorus... there were finches, for sure, thrushes and other little birds I couldn't recognise.  One fellow I did recognise though was the quuuuuark quark of the pheasant - we live in a marshy area and the place seems to be the pheasant equivalent of Grand Central Station! My pace wasn't too bad either - I eased into the run by turning down towards the lighthouse with a leisurely gait, but on the way back I stepped it up, almost unknowns to myself.  This was my first run for over a week, and though I've been busy at work and with some visiting guests, there's no real excuse.  I missed it, but now the decks are cleared and I'm ready to trot.  And by the way, there's talk of another marathon this autumn, but keep it quiet...

2 comments:

  1. Mushroom is a room which has no windows and no doors... that's nice :)
    I think you have a good motivation considering that you ran at 05:45 in the morning :) I know that it's really beautiful to hear little birds around you while you are running.
    Two years ago I went to Berlin and I ran at 06:00 a.m. across the Tiergarden. There were squirrels and black birds along the running path. Wonderful!

    I'm busy at work too!
    I will be looking forward to reading your decision about the marathon this autumn! I'm curious, I've never run a marathon.
    Enjoy your runs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 5:45am - I just couldn't.

    We've got a monster mushroom growing across the road on grass... must be a foot and a half in length.

    Seemed to grow within a week.

    ReplyDelete