Wednesday, April 13, 2011

An Unusual Run with Music.


I swopped the stillness of the bog for a run with Lara Marling playing in my ears.

I don't usually run with music, in fact I have already written a post here about how much I dislike running with a pair of earphones dangling from my aural receptacles.  However, for some crazy reason, I decided to do a 5 miler on the prom today, with a pair of said music transmitters in my ears.  And, d'you know what, but it wasn't all that bad.  I do still prefer to run to the natural sounds all around - the gulls, the lapping water, the whistling wind, or the chattering classes on the promenade.  These sounds, and more like them, excite me greatly.  And in another way I love the bog runs for the stillness and peace - a place abandoned by man and animal alike (save for the wasp-like clag, or the odd goat).  But, for one day only, I joined the ranks of the music runners, and didn't mind it one bit.  Ran nice and easy, upped the pace for the last mile.

6 comments:

  1. The last time I ran with music was when I was doing hard uphill mile repeats - to take my mind off the pain - prior to the World Masters Mountain Running Championships in Switzerland.
    I like to be aware of all that's going on around me, especially at this time of year when I'm waiting to hear the first swallow, the first ring ouzel, the first cuckoo, etc. etc..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Running with 'Rocky' in your ears is a great way to fool yourself into thinking you're running faster and harder than you are. That advice is free.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree with you! I really like running to the natural sounds of the environment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm still undecided about running with music. Some days I do and enjoy it. Other days I want to listen to the sounds around me, it depends on my mood. I always run races without music though so I can really enjoy the atmosphere.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not usually a fan of music either...but sometimes it is a nice change!

    ReplyDelete