Saturday, April 30, 2011

RTE 5 Mile Run For the Run a Month Club.



The lads pensively await the start of the race ...........

I have fond memories of the RTE 5 mile run from two years ago.  At that time I was a chubby boozer, settling into my thirties with a penchant for pizza and pints and little interest in running.  I got a wake up call that Easter when I tried to run up to the village with my one of my brothers-in-law and ended up wheezing and whining after less than a quarter of a mile.  So, I packed up the pints for a while, bought a new pair of running shoes, aimed for the RTE 5 mile run, and haven't looked back since.  Today, I returned to the scene of that run, and this time, it was to tick off April with the one-a-month brothers.  So far we have run:  Tuam in January, Birr in February, Dublin in March and now RTE in April.  I arrived a bit earlier than Kevin and Cormac, so I got to register us all and soak in some of the pre-race sunshine swanning.
Kevin and Cormac, comfortable at the midway point!

The race is based on the site of our national broadcaster, so some famous(ish) faces were in view...  My mother and father were up, as were Kevin's youngest two and Cormac's wife, Ruth, who ran with us last month and will run again next month but unfortunately wasn't ready today.  We gathered together in Aylesbury Road for the off and the race took us on a four lap journey around the leafy suburb of Donnybrook.

 The brothers stuck together for the first two laps, running within ourselves and holding ourselves for a mad burst!  At the three lap mark we each stepped up the pace a bit and strode home while mostly passing runners (always a good sign!).  I finished in 41.34mins, not too bad for this time of year, and Kevin and Cormac came in at 43.30ish, so they are seriously flying and closing in on aul Bren.

Next month's race is still to be decided, but a 10k would be in order for sure...

2 comments:

  1. You and your friends really ran a great race! Congrats for your time taken of 41.34 minutes, Brendan! The photos show that the weather was cloudy and this helped runners because it was not too hot :)
    Have a great plan for your next 10 km race!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good on yer for keeping to your one race a month schedule and finishing in a good time.
    I failed miserably in April!

    ReplyDelete