Wednesday, April 20, 2011

5K Salthill Run

Proud and undaunted - some of the TríSpórt club members who took part in the Salthill 5k with yours truly far left.

There's nothing better than an unexpected race, on a fine day - especially when the route is a regular run that I had planned to do anyway!  Such was the case yesterday... I brought my gear to work in order to stop off in Salthill on the way home, but received a call from Big Ron to remind me about the Salthill 5k (a run organised by the Christian Camp of the Arts).  I needed reminding for sure, as I had clean forgotten this event.  About 150 runners gathered on the prom at 7.30pm to run a flat and what should have been a fast 5k.  We headed out towards South Park and rounded the football pitches to turn back towards the prom again.  I usually add the Mutton Island Causeway and a further stretch of the prom to this route to make it a 5 miler.  I ran at a tempo that was higher than usual for me at this time of year and finished in 23.30mins - not great, but no disgrace.  Rónán finished in 19mins, so he was haring along nicely.  The event also marked my first run with the rest of the TríSpórt club members (a local club for triathlon participants, and those of us who can compete in one leg of a triathlon only!).  It was a great event - and a good call to get on a Tuesday afternoon!

3 comments:

  1. 23:30 mins, consequently your average pace was 4:42 min./km. You really run a good 5 km race, Brendan.
    Don't forget next event :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks a million Giorgio - I was happy enough with it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 23:30, that is a great time. Well done.

    ReplyDelete