Sunday, January 16, 2011

Tuam 2011 8K.

The band of brothers with Big Ron and wee Marcus to the fore.  From left:  Cormac, Kevin, myself and Rónán.

There is a man in Wexford, a fair haired warrior, and he lives for the thrill of a yearly mountain run and a calendar that brings some road races his way.  Tonight, he sleeps with both eyes open, tosses and turns in his bed, jolts up straight at 4am screaming:
'Oh God no, they're off and running, they're off and running."
Yes, he has cause for concern, for off and running they certainly are and they'll be gunning for the fair haired scalp whenever the time comes.  Brothers Cormac and Kevin can content themselves with the knowledge that they made a great start in what was a very enjoyable 8k in Tuam.  Cormac came in at 44mins with Kevin crossing the line in the 45minute bracket.  
Cormac looking comfortable as he strides home in 44mins.

Us brothers are committed to a run a month this year, so this should lead to a bit of crack (fun, not drugs!) for 2011.  For me, this was also a good start to 2011 - I clocked the 8k at 38.16mins, which is a PB and a good two minutes faster than what I ran the same course in last year.  Rónán continues to post fantastic times and ran today's race in 31.29mins.  
Kevin, heading for an impressive finish in Tuam.
The Tuam run is fairly flat, but I feel it's pretty tough.  It is run over two uneven loops - something that can play with the mind a bit!  I felt pretty good throughout, but had to slow down for awhile around the 6k mark with a bit of a stitch.  This cost me the guts of a minute but I had recovered before I hit the 7k point.  The race was organised by Tuam AC, and once again they put on a great spread of tea and cake for afters... Next on the list is a run down Richie's side of the world - so he'd better get something for those sleepless nights...
A good start to 2011 for Cormac and Kevin.

5 comments:

  1. "Adversity causes some men to break, others to break records" I think you know which bracket I fall into :) I will see your cheeky banter and i'll raise you the Annevalley challenge gauntlet. How covenient that the Hermanator is jetting off to Dubai around Feb 12th, first time I've ever heard of someone seeking refuge in an Arab country! I do fear yourself and Kevin however. Someone who has gone a year training steadily and posting an excellent time in the Dublin marathon is a threat and going a year only consuming what can only be described as my monthly average of pints. Kevin has seen it all before, he is looking good again and is fresh. My biggest fear however is if Conán and Fionn run, they are the future, they may expose me to the fact that I am beginning my jog to the "past it" ranks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is maith liom pictiúir Khevin agus é ag críochnú... two feet off the ground! Sin fear scioptha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting photos over the last two posts... Compare and contrast the physical conditioning of one Breandán Ó hEaghra at Tuam 2010 v Tuam 2011. Bloody hell!!! And how the same pair of shorts are still staying on that waist, I'll never know!

    ReplyDelete
  4. See! I said you'd easily crack 40 minutes in that Tuam 8K. The seed was planted. Well done Breandán - again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks a million all - Running Fox, your's was the prompt I needed!

    ReplyDelete