Friday, January 7, 2011

2011 is Finally Off to a Five Miler.

Cold evening on the Salthill Prom...

Against an arctic wind on the Salthill Prom, I finally got running in 2011 this evening.  Five miles, fresh and fair, with a brisk and steady pace.  It took me a while to get warmed up, but once warm it was a very enjoyable run.  One middle aged woman, clad in a red bikini, sprinted towards the tide on the Ladies Beach, then slowed to a fearful plod before breaking the icy water.  Elsewhere two dogs danced along the edge of the sea as they followed the forward and backward flight of a flock of small birds that flew a few feet above the tide.  There was a strange feeling of freezing solidarity amongst runners and walkers as we nodded at each other in that smug way that element-bravers do.  And when it was all done, I wondered where the cold had gone as I sat into my car wearing a pair of shorts and a long sleeve top - as warm as I would be on a summer's day.

And now that 2010 has passed and 11 is with us, it's time for me to list my goals and plans for the year ahead... 
1.  Run More Races than Last Year and Improve Times.
2.  Eat Healthy Food, Cut out Slop.
3.  Check out Meditation.

And as regards the 24 pint rule:
This rule applied to 2010 only, but I've opted to keep the blog title the same for continuity reasons and will keep a track of pints this year and have a limit in my mind that I'll keep to myself for now!

1 comment:

  1. Great plans for the new year| I'll try to run more races than last year too! I hope you'll reach your goals, Brendan!
    I wouldn't mind to run against a polar wind ... if I wore scarves and gloves :)
    Enjoy your winter running!

    ReplyDelete