Monday, December 27, 2010

Five Miles in Snow and the Wee Peg is Mine...

Traditions must be maintained!  Each Christmas we have two family runs, where the prize is a clothes peg! The first of these was with the in-laws in Louth yesterday, however, I was a lonesome winner...  
The first of the Christmas Pegs have been collected, though by default!  I was the only one left not complaining of flu, bad back, dodgy hip, hangover or overwhelming responsibility.  So, to keep the tradition alive I got out and ran five miles all by my lonesome!  The snow was still heavy on the ground and the temperature well down, but it was one of the nicest runs I've had for some time.  The countryside was covered in a brilliant white coat of snow and once my lungs got to adjust to the sharpness of the air it was absolutely lovely.  Stephen's Day in County Louth with the in-laws is always a nice and relaxing time, and so-far this year there has been no excess for me - so I found the run to be very enjoyable.  At one point I left the road and ran into a corn field, which of course was covered in snow.  I kept to the perimeter of what must have been two football fields in area and then started panicking that some farmer might come out with his gun (I noticed a sign for 'Stabannon Gun Club')!  I still haven't  drank any of my last four pints for the year... perhaps one or two tonight!

1 comment:

  1. Now your environs are covered in a white coat of snow: just in time for Christmas time :) I like running on a path covered with snow.

    Enjoy your snowy run!

    ReplyDelete