Thursday, October 21, 2010

3 Miles, Contemplating Marathon Strategy.

The sun going down on Galway Bay!  This pic may be the last taken by my Nikon camera, for she did start playing up afterwards (lens not opening). 
Four days to go.
This evening I ran three miles of prime October chill.  It was so cold that I noticed a flock of seagulls doing star jumps on Blackrock pier, just to stay warm.  And truthfully it was so cold that I wore a thermal vest for the first time ever (and will consider running in Long Johns if these arctic conditions continue).  However, the weather may be cold, but it's also strangely glorious - and bright as Summer.  What preoccupied my mind during tonight's trot was: what will my marathon strategy be?  I would love to come in under four hours, but I fluctuate between being confident of doing that, and being doubtful that I can actually finish the distance.  The doubts creep in whenever I consider the following scenario:  I go out too fast in an attempt to stick with the 3.45hr group and fall apart at mile 16.  However, the alternative is that I go out too slowly and thus underachieve!  Anyway, my latest thought is that I will do as I've done throughout my training regime: run as I feel, care not at all about finishing times, start easy and see how it goes.  After all, I would be happier to finish the marathon well rather than have it finish me!
Distance:  3 miles
Route:  Salthill prom
Satisfaction:  8/10

4 comments:

  1. A marathon is an exercise in self-discipline. It is so, so easy to get dragged along too fast in the initial stages. Don't be tempted. Do your own thing. Stay within your limits, pace it well and trust the effects of your training over the last few months. Physically, you're ready and capable. Believe that and go out with the intention of enjoying it. From what I've read in your blog I think you'll easily crack 4 hours.
    Get gallons of fluid down you in these last few days, and a barrow load of carbohydrates.
    Wishing you all the best.
    PS. One of our Longwood members is running Dublin and hoping for a good time. If you see a blonde in a light blue vest with three white horizontal hoops it's probably Linda Brewis, an LV55 lady from sunny Huddersfield. Say hello!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks a million - that advice and support is priceless at this stage! As for looking out for an athletic blonde...do you want to get me in trouble with my wife!

    ReplyDelete
  3. At the end of a marathon you'll be so excited and full of yourself you'll be talking to everybody, reghardless of whether they're blonde, brunette, male, female or anything in between!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Breandán, where are you? I'm dying to know how you performed in Dublin. It appears my Longwood friend failed to make it to the start so you must have done better than her. Looking forward to your report.
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete