Sunday, June 23, 2013

Running on an half tank.

The summer in Conamara continues... not the sunshine of early June, but good running weather all the same.  For the past two weeks I've been dragged up and down the road for a few 7 milers by Conor and Mícheál, who are two fit and fast young men.  I kept up well the first two times but completely blew up last Sunday and trotted slowly behind.  Dejected.  There didn't seem to be anything left in the tank and my legs were half dead.
Let's make an excuse or two: run off my feet with the students staying in the house, the new business and an infant that still keeps us awake at night - not to mention labouring with the garden.
Let's give a more solid reason:  poor diet, poor quality of training.
Still, I've kept the runs going, slotted in a solo four miler on Thursday last and then went for a nice five mile trot around the village yesterday evening with brothers Richie and Cormac who were down for the weekend.  We took it nice and handily, heading up the village and around past the pitches and down by Demense... a gorgeous run with a few tough hills to boot.  Both lads are flyin.  
Disappointingly I haven't seen any local 10ks to aim for... I need to stay local while the students are in town.  

1 comment:

  1. It's great to hear from you, Brendan! I Hope everything is going well. You have no time at the moment, but a few 7 milers is better than nothing. Don't give up running!

    ReplyDelete