Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Time Target for October 10k: 48minutes

My sister got in contact today to inform me that she is entering the Conamara 10k, which takes place on October 13th.  It's a big deal for her, as she is not a runner and will really be starting from scratch, so her declaration has spurred me on to a target of my own:  to run that 10k in the 48 minute bracket (48.59mins will be acceptable!).  My 10k PB to date is 50.06mins (set earlier on this year), so I will need to get out and train, train, train... My wife is due around October 23rd, so this would be a good time to hit a PB like that.

3 comments:

  1. Come on that's got to be easy, you just have to get out and do a bit of training... I would say you are fit enough to put in some hard work! I would say you need 2 (if not 3) sessions a week!
    Sessions!!! stuff like running faster than race pace for anything from 60 sec to 8min.
    At 60 sec you would aim at about 10 of them (keep the rest about 60sec as well, and keep moving).
    for 8min only 2 or 3 are needed and keep the rest under 2 min.

    Your only thought must be: can I do all of them, and can I keep them the same pace? if the answer is no, then you are running them to fast.

    Then the other 2-5 days just run, and ensure one of them is longer than the 10km (wouldn't go longer than 20km).

    Good Luck and to your sister as well

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's good advice Coach Dion! I'll take you up on it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Coach Dion is a clever man. I might try that myself when I try my best for that 10k!!

    ReplyDelete