Wednesday, February 2, 2011

How to Combat Treadmill Misery.

I dreamt I was back walking up the bright trail to the top of Slieve Foy.
I stopped the rot this evening by running three miles.  Unfortunately I had to resort to that mechanical misery mile machine that is: the treadmill.  So, to combat the unbelievable drudgery of a half an hour on a treadmill, I recalled last summer's sojourn up to the top of Slieve Foy in County Louth.  As I plodded away at an 8.30 pace I remembered that fine day when I set off up the mountain, past the sheep and up the briary trail to the very top of the most beautiful spot on the east coast of Ireland... 
A Louth Sheep, relieving himself on the side of the mountain.

Situated in the old viking town of Carlingford, it is just big enough to walk to the top and back in three hours.  And walking the Foy has a magical way of making a pint of stout taste 100% better (at least, I've heard this - last year I was on a restricted diet of Guinness so I didn't partake of a bevvy after my walk, but I'll put it to right this year).  What I'd also like to do this year is to run up the Foy, or at least a good part of it.  
View from the top...

After all, I'm sure a torturous run up a mountain still beats the hell out of the treadmill.

2 comments:

  1. "A Louth Sheep, relieving himself on the side of the mountain."

    One of the great photo captions of our time...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job on the a treadmill! Beautiful photos: the top of Slieve Foy seems a nice place to run.

    ReplyDelete