Sunday, November 14, 2010

Darver 4 Miler.

D bravely feeds a horse in the wee county!
I have been suffering from a dose of the post marathon blues these past two weeks, so getting back to the racing circuit was just what the doctor ordered.  Darver is a lovely little village in mid-County Louth, not far from where my wife hails.  Today's event was a cross-country four miler, on the grounds of the Louth County Football team's training pitches.  It was a tough route - with man made mucky hills, watery turns and sections of gravely path.  Worst of all, there were only about thirty competitors and they all seemed to be super athletes.  At the start we had to run up a steep hill - we went off like the hammers of hell. I realised half way up this hill that the pace was ridiculously fast for me, but I went with it for a while.  The course consisted of four one mile laps, and quite honestly I felt like quitting half way through the first one!  Sense prevailed, however, so I slowed up significantly and concentrated on my own pace.  Looking over my shoulder I could see about seven others behind me, and I was sure enough that I could stay ahead.  So I bedded in!  It turns out that I completed the run in 29.08mins - about 7.20min pace.  This was a bit of a shocker for me - I thought I was way slower during the run, but the field was so fast that it made any normal run feel like a plod!
Route:  Darver Cross Country
Pace:  7.20mins
Satisfaction:  6/10

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on hanging in there, I would have bowed out on the starting line, great time too!

    ReplyDelete