Monday, August 19, 2013

70km Walk Tomorrow.

"Tomorrow will be loud with war... how will I be accounted for?"

... so asked one of our great war poets (yes we had war poets!), Francis Ledwige, on the eve of battle during the first world war.  Well, I can't really compare my task with his, but a mammoth task it will be for me.  I will set off at 10am from Uachtar Ard, on the banks of the Lough Corrib, heading towards Maam Cross, and then beyond that to mount the Maamturk Mountains, camp overnight, and then walk along the spine of those mountains until we reach the village of Leenane.  A near 70km hike in all.  I will be joined for all if it by my good Dutch friend, Vincent, and for some of it by sister in law, Teresa, sister, Róisín, and brother in law, Mark, and who knows who else!
The walk is in aid of the Jack and Jill Foundation - an organisation that help families of severely ill infants as they mind their children in the homeplace, so I'm delighted to have almost reached my target of €1000 by fundraising on the charity website, www.mycharity.ie/event/jackandjillfoundation

Training hasn't been great this summer... sporadic runs only (which explains the lack of blogging), but I'm determined to see this walk through and hopefully it will kickstart a good autumn.  My aim is to get back to running some 10ks asap - I still boast a 10k pb from this year so it's not all bad!

That's it for tonight - I will check back on Thursday with news of the mammoth walk.

1 comment:

  1. I hope you tell us about it, 70km is a long way to be walking and I bet it's going to end up a long day out...

    ReplyDelete