Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Almost Ready for the Cycle...

The Boat Inn, in the picturesque village of Oughterard, where I stopped off for a toasted sandwich and coffee, 45k into a 105k cycle.

I'm developing bike legs at last.  This past week has seen me up on the two-wheeler for an 80k, 40k and finally a whopping 105k cycle yesterday!  In between all of this I managed to run a 5 miler and a 3 miler - but the cycling has slowed up my running progress for sure.
Which pursuit do I prefer?  Like asking to choose between strawberries or cheese, it depends on the mood...  Cycling can be very difficult on our Conamara roads - especially the route back from the beautiful village of Oughterard (Uachtar Ard as we say in Irish!), where I took a short break and had a sandwich in the Boat Inn.  This is mountainy country - beautiful, but damn tough.  The wind seems to always swirl against you - no matter what direction you are heading in.  There are times of course when it is just directly in your face and forcing you backwards.  I'm just a novice at this cycling lark of course - I've only recently learned to sit low against the wind - it makes a fair difference but can be difficult to crouch for a very long period of time.
My 105k cycle went okay (believe it or not), but I did begin to tire at the very end.  The first day of our cross Ireland trek will demand a 160k effort, so I still need to acclimatise. 
Beautiful scenery - tough cycling!

The big event is only nine days away now - and the excitement is growing for sure.  I'm well chuffed that a solo effort from last year is  taking on greater significance this time out, with 30 other participants coming along for the three-day cycle to raise some much needed funds for the Jack and Jill Foundation.  The credit for this year's success has to go to Teresa, Enda, Ronan, and all the gang up in Stabannon who are fantastic organisers.  Of course, it's all in memory of a very special little girl, and for all the families who are struggling to cope with the illness of a very young one.  www.rosescycle.com.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like your "conversion" is going well. Good luck for the big event.

    ReplyDelete