Monday, June 11, 2012

Cranking it up... a bit!

Not too bad this week... following the earlier run on Monday, I took to the treadmill for an interval workout on Thursday - I hate the treadmill but for some reason it isn't too bad for intervals (or repeats as some call them). I did a mile warm-up to start off with, then followed with three very fast miles, divided into segments of a half a mile at a time.  The pace was pretty fast for me, but I knew I had to crank up the pace of my training at some stage.
My next run was a five mile trot up and down the village on Saturday.  I found this to be a bit of a slog to be honest.  I know that I partly suffered because of the hot weather that day, but another part of the reason was down to the fact that I had eaten a BIG dinner just about an hour and a half before setting off.  This eating before running lark is just not my style! 
I'm way off my pace at the moment, but at least I'm up and running.  I feel that I'm not eating or training well, so both things need to be bucked up.  I also NEED a race... and I believe Big Ron has found the answer with the Ballybrit 10k next Sunday.  Finally, a goal!

2 comments:

  1. Races are good, and having not run one last weekend and without one planned for this weekend I'm chomping at the bit... But I do need a couple of weeks of training, so it's a good thing.

    So run the race for me and kick butt...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course, running a race improves your shape, although you aren't adequately trained for it. You can run a race as tempo run (90% of your strenght).
    Enjoy the Ballybrit 10km race next Sunday!

    Post scriptum: with regard to the hot weather, don't forget the importance of rehydration.

    ReplyDelete