Tuesday, June 21, 2022

Intervals - First step on the road to recovery

 I've sketched out a plan for the next 8 weeks, that hopefully should see me completing the Claregalway 10k with some minor modicum of dignity.  The thing now is to stick with it!

Páirc an Cháthanaigh, where I did my intervals, hosted a European Cup soccer match way back in 1986!
Páirc an Cháthanaigh, where I did my intervals, hosted a European Cup soccer match way back in 1986!


I've decided to go with three training sessions per week, that basically follows the following pattern:

Monday - Interval training

Wednesday - Short fast run

Saturday - Long slow run

Intervals were a key part of my marathon training back when I could run well!  I was never a super fast runner, but interval training gave me that sharp burst of lung  busting speedwork that helped bring my time down to 3.43 for the Dublin marathon, way back in 2010. 

Yesterday evening was beautiful - the kids had football training on the park, so Murty and I did 12 laps, 6 fast, six slow.

The first fast lap nearly killed me.  I thought I'd never complete the next 5.  But I did, and actually began to feel a little better after lap #3 of the fast ones.

It feels good to be back training.  Onwards we go!

No comments:

Post a Comment