Monday, May 16, 2011

Calcutta Run for the one-a-month boys...


On our way back from Dublin, following another successful outing for the One-a-Month brothers!
Another month, another run for the one-per-month brothers.  It's been a hectic few weeks for me between one thing and another and I made the cardinal error of not incorporating runs into my work and life schedule, so the one-a-month club got me back out there again... This time we were without Cormac, Ruth, or Richie, but Kevin and I continued our monthly committment with this lovely 10k.  It started off outside the Law Society at Blackhall Place, and we ran around some sideroads before coming in to the Phoenix Park, where most of the run was located.  For the most part it was a flat course, with some nice downhills and very little uphill, so we had little excuses... We ran throughout at a chatting pace, but upped the tempo for the final 2ks and ran together past the 10k mark at around 53.23.  The race itself continued for nearly another half a km so our finishing time was in the 55 min bracket.  There was some wind, but by in large the day was perfect up until the final 1km when the heavens opened and it lashed rain...  All was in aid of a good cause - the Fr. Peter McVerry Homeless Trust - helping the homeless in Calcutta and Dublin.  A very enjoyable occasion - and hopefully a springboard to more regular running...

4 comments:

  1. Good on yer for maintaining your one-a-month schedule and for a very good cause. Sounds like you're very much enjoying your running too. Keep it up.
    I'm afraid I've temporarily fallen by the wayside - but I'll be back!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks a million Runningfox... I read of your trouble today alright... truth is that I had fallen off the wayside for the past two weeks, but as you know there's nothing like a concrete committment to keep you at it and this run a month is working for me... when do you expect to be back at it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dunno when I'll run or race again Breandán, still waiting for Path Lab results so they know what treatment to prescribe, but I'm getting a bit impatient!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Breandan. I can really appreciate your blog as I am in my 40th year and trying to overcome a quarter century penchant for beer and pizza in order to get back into shape and do something productive. I don't think that I can keep up your pace of a race a month but do plan on running a couple of races this summer (my first races in over two decades.) From one beer lover to another good luck and keep up the good running.

    ReplyDelete